October 17, 2013

Homemade Pirate Wig

My son is so excited to be Captain Hook for Halloween.  He is a little obsessed with Captain Hook and pirates.  He already has a Captain Hook costume from Grandma, but he really wanted long black hair to go with his costume.  I didn't really want to buy a wig or spend a lot of money, so I decided to make a wig out of yarn.

  I found some elastic I had laying around the house, sewed it together making a little headband to fit the crown of my son's head.  Then I cut pieces of black yarn (about 2 ft long).  I folded the yarn in half and held it over the elastic as shown in the picture- 


Then I pulled the ends behind the elastic, up through the loop


Then pulled the ends down, so the yarn lays flat and there is a little knot at the bottom of the elastic


Repeated this process until I had a headband of yarn all the way around, except for the front.  I constantly pushed the yarn closer together to make it nice and full.  
(Used less than one skein of yarn)



Looks great under a bandana or pirate hat


Throwing a pirate birthday party??  Check here for some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment