November 15, 2014

DIY Homemade Lightsaber


October- a time for pumpkins, candy, caramel apples, and your kid changing his mind a billion times about what he will be for Halloween.  At least that is what happened in my house.  :)  The week of Halloween, my son finally decided that he was going to be Darth Vader for Halloween.  He already had the mask and cape, so that made things easy.  The only thing he was missing was a red lightsaber.  I almost just bought one, but all of the cheaper lightsabers I found had terrible reviews.  And these homemade lightsabers are still our favorite for lightsaber battles and playtime, so there was no need for spending a lot of money.  So I began to think about how I could make a red lightsaber.  Maybe red duct tape, red siran wrap?  I went to walmart and they didn't have either of those two things.  Then I wandered over to the Christmas section hoping I would find something red that would inspire me.  Something indeed caught my eye.  Red shiny foil wrapping paper.  It was perfect.  This $1.25 wrapping paper would make a perfect lightsaber.  The shininess of the foil paper was perfect for the illumination of a lightsaber.  I probably could have just used the whole roll of wrapping paper itself, but I didn't want to waste the paper (I could use it in 2 months for Christmas!) and I thought the roll might get a little smashed in my son's hand all night.  So I grabbed some pvc pipe I had in my garage from an old shelf.  I taped 2 pipes together and then rolled the wrapping paper around it and sealed it with glue.  Took less than 5 minutes.  Talk about cheap and easy!   

For the handle I used silver and black duct tape and drew some buttons on with permanent markers.

This $1 (and change) homemade lightsaber was the perfect accessory for my son's Halloween costume and looked great in all our pictures!


He has already put in a request for a green lightsaber next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment